Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Meeting Notes

Had a meeting today, so I'm posting my notes here so I can freely access them.

** Meeting Notes **

Capability of encouraging exploration. Discussed topics ready at hand. (The trigger for a desired action that distracts the user is not ready at hand. For example bolding a phrase is ready at hand if you press Ctrl+B. It is not* ready at hand when you trigger it by: Tools --> Fonts --> Bold --> OK.)

Professor mentioned someone else said the greatest tool for exploration is Undo. (You go Alex! You weren't alone in your intuition for Undo)

When I take a rough sketch and formalize it for distribution, what do I lose? Should I be able to return to the crude sketch from the formal presentation?

More on my side: When I sketch ideas, I have an affinity for what I draw. The affinity becomes more important when I am extending a *formal* document. For example, when I'm appending to a formal design (formal as in pretty and easy to read), I feel more inclined to explore my own ideas.


~~ Works to Reference ~~
Mark Gross
Ellen Do
--- Drawing on the Back of an Envelope


VKB Shipman
--- Visual hypertext


Terry Winograd
--- Computer and Cognition (check out chapter on ready at hand)

Paul Dourish
--- Where the Action Is: The Foundations of Embodied Interaction


Haowei Hsieh
--- Nothing

Michael Terry
--- work on evaluating alternatives (in ACM Chi conference)

  1. Schön, D. The Reflective Practitioner: How Professionals Think in Action, Basic Books, 1983, Chapter 2, pp. 21-69.

Brenda Laurels’ latest stuff on poetics? Maybe for the future.

Cognitive walkthrough for evaluation?
--- Maybe this??

No comments: